Thursday, January 19, 2017

Reading Profile

A special memory I have from childhood is going to my small hometown library with my mom every week. We would walk to our separate sections and often spend an hour flipping through titles trying to find the perfect book (or books) for the week. I loved the freedom and responsibility I felt by being able to choose my own books without anyone's input or judgement. Although at times I was embarrassed about the book I was interested in reading, my mom never asked to see what titles I had picked. This childhood experience has served me as an adult because to this day I do not feel hesitation if I want to read something that other people may find 'embarrassing'. I read voraciously and continuously as a child, but as an adult, I often go through reading 'waves' where I read many books all at once then go a couple months with very little reading.

A few of my favorite genres are autobiographies, graphic novels, non-fiction, and short stories.  I also typically gravitate towards women authors and contemporary works. To stay up-to-date, I like to try to keep up with current popular books no matter the genre. For example, right now I am reading The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead. This is not a book I would normally pick for myself, but with such a big buzz around it I decided to give it a try!

Some of my favorites:
Just Kids by Patti Smith (autobiography)
Saga by Brian Vaughn (graphic novel series)
The Lonely City by Olivia Yaing (non-fiction)
Birds of America by Lorrie Moore (short stories)

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Darcy. My reading was similarly unrestricted. I think that has a lot to do with my life-long enjoyment of reading and my willingness to pick up just about anything. I have sometimes felt embarrassed by things that I like, but I am trying to do away with using the phrase "guilty pleasure". I think it's also problematic when people say of young readers reading books for their age group, "at least they're reading." Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.

    I am a huge Patti Smith fan and LOVED Just Kids. Did you read M Train? It didn't resonate with me as much because the format and purpose was so different, but I want to give it another go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not read M Train! Just kids is the only written piece of Smith's that I have tried out but I would love to explore more.

      Delete
  2. Hi Darcy! I like how you keep up with the most current popular books. I think I am going to take this suggestion. I am so caught up in what I have missed reading that I just need to start reading what my patrons are currently reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it gets hard when it is something that really does not interest me :) but it is still nice to gain some reader's perspectives !

      Delete
  3. I'm reading Just Kids for a book club in March! Also, I had about the same experience, my mom believed that I would self-censor if I got too adult of a book. I remember reading Animal Farm in 4th grade and not realizing what it was "really" about until high school when I had to re-read it. Great profile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have to let me know what you think! I really loved it! Patti Smith is so talented.

      Delete